RECIPE: Summer Quinoa Salad
I make this easy quinoa salad a lot in the summer and eat it cold. You can really put whatever you want in it…and I switch it up all the time. Although I do tend to stick with mint, cilantro, and a cumin-lemon-lime-olive oil dressing because I love those flavors. Basil goes nicely as well. I’m taking this to a Memorial Day pool party at the Klawin’s tomorrow. Healthy and tasty.
- Snap peas
- Green onions
- Anaheim chili (or banana chili if you want less spice)
- Fresh mint
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare quinoa according to package directions. (It’s usually one cup of quinoa to two cups of liquid. I used water, but you can also use stock for more flavor.) It takes about 20 minutes to cook.
2. Cut veggies or anything else you’re going to add to the quinoa. (Sometimes I used chopped chicken if I have leftovers. Sometimes I use vegetarian chick’n strips.)
3. Mix lemon juice, lime juice (or vinegar) with olive oil to make a simple vinaigrette. Add salt, pepper and a generous amount of cumin.
4. Allow the quinoa to cool. (I did not do this today and it make my herbs wilt.) Pour the vinaigrette over the quinoa and veggies. Mix all ingredients together. Adjust seasonings if necessary. (I usually end up adding more salt, cumin and lemon juice.)
5. Let chill in the fridge overnight. You might need to adjust seasonings again before you serve. Delicious served cold or room temp.