I made this awesome summer salad last week for a Fourth of July BBQ at Katie and Jerod’s and I totally forgot to post the recipe. I’ve been making this salad for many years and I’m pretty sure everyone in my family makes it for BBQs now too. (Shanon was making it in Kiawah for their Fourth of July dinner as well. Kind of like we were “cooking” together. Ha.)
RECIPE: Summer Potato, Corn, and Tomato Salad (With Basil)
I saw this on The Food Network’s Good Deal with Dave Lieberman a long time ago and I’ve been making it ever since.
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, scrubbed
- 5 medium ears of sweet corn
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 large bunch of fresh basil
- 1/4 cup of EV olive oil
- 2 large lemons, juice
- kosher salt to taste
- pepper to taste
1. Place the potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until just fork tender (about 15 minutes). Remove from water and place them in a bowl of ice water to stop them from cooking.
2. The original recipe calls for you to cook the corn for 5-7 minutes in the same boiling water that you cooked the potatoes in, but I don’t think you need to cook sweet summer corn. Use a chef’s knife to slice the kernels of corn off the cob.
3. Add sliced tomatoes, onions and quartered potatoes to the bowl.
4. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and toss gently to combine.
5. Tear basil leaves and add to the salad. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
I like to serve this at room temperature, but the flavors definitely come together if you put it in the fridge for a bit. Enjoy!