currently listening to...
Diane Young [Vampire Weekend]
Recovery [Frank Turner]
Bommerang [Lucy Schwartz]
Pretty Polly [Vandaveer]
When You Get to Asheville [Steve Martin and Eddie Brickell]
Boxcar [Shovels & Rope]
Listen With Your Heart [Nora Jane Struthers]
Travelin' On [Nora Jan Struthers]
The One That Got Away [Ken Yates]
Her Locket on a Chain [Friendly Savages]
Give It Away [Andrew Bird]
The Blues [The DeCamp Sisters]
The Fall [The Black Lillies]
Drinkin' [Holly Williams]
Take Me Home, Country Roads [Brandi Carlile & Emmylou Harris]
Just Give Me a Reason [Pink and Nate from Fun]
AND FOR FUN::
Blurred Lines [Robin Thicke with TI and Pharrell]
I Love It [Icona Pop]
Can't Hold Us (Macklemore and Ryan Lewis]
The Voice Kicks Off...
...wait, what is wrong with America? I think I'm done with this season. Are you effing kidding me? Judith and Sarah are going home. WTF? Too much country.
Mic drop. I'm out.
The Voice: Top 8
I'm going to be honest here...I'm not really feeling like blogging The Voice tonight...so I apologize in advance if I give up half way through.
1. Judith (Team Adam):: There's a song called #hashtag? We'll she's singing it. It's very pop. Decent. She's going to be a pop star for sure.
2. Holly (Team Blake):: She's singing a Band Perry song. (I kind of like them...shhhh.) Whoa...those are some bedazzled cowboy boots. It's a pop country song..she'll do well with that style.
Group song? Judith, Michelle, Sarah, and Sasha are doing Shine Bright Like a Diamond...interesting.
3. The Swon Brothers (Team Blake):: They're doing The Eagles...it's more southern rock...love this song...something was off with the timing at the beginning...but it was pretty good.
4. Sasha (Team Shakira):: She's singing Without You...it's a very pop-filled night so far. She's gorgeous and has a great voice...but she just doesn't even compare to Judith.
5. Sarah (Team Adam):: Ooooo...she's doing Goyte's Somebody I Used to Know...could be awesome...I didn't like the arrangement. But I do love her voice. Not her best.
Group country song...skip.
6. Michelle (Team Usher):: She's doing Bruno Mars' Grenade. It was understated and very good. Love how it started all quiet and got big at the end. I hope she makes it another week. I think it's time to say goodbye to the Swon Brothers....and one of the three country blonde girls.
7. Danielle (Team Blake):: She's doing Grandpa by the Judds...too. much. country. Oh. My. God. She's in SUPER sparkly red cowboy boots and sitting on a fake porch swing on a fake front porch. Nooooo. I can't even comment on her singing. The staging was just so bad.
8. Amber (Team Adam):: Huh...she got the money slot...let's see what she's doing. Skyfall by Adele...OK. Let's see what she does with it.It was huge and she's really great. But not my cup of tea.
Voting for Michelle and Sarah...and maybe a few votes for Sasha and Judith.
The Voice Kicks Off...
...Josiah and Kris...what the what? That means Usher and Shakira only have one contestant each...and Adam and Blake each have three left. Fascinating.
Adam's team is so strong. Every time they sing solo or together, they're amazing. Everyone else is very lackluster when they have to do the group sings.
The Voice: Top 10
I'm going to ignore the fact that this singing competition...designed to discover NEW talent...opens with a performance by Maroon 5. Fast forward.
(Blake says a few words about Oklahoma...thoughts are with them after this awful tornado.)
The advisors are back to work with the artists...so Sheryl Crow, Pharrell, Hillary Scott and Cee-Lo (in place of Joel Madden). Blake and Adam each have three artists left, while Usher and Shakira only have two each.
1. Holly (Team Blake):: She's doing some gospel song. I guess it was lovely enough. She's got a good voice. But I'm just not that into her.
2. Judith (Team Adam):: She's doing The Way You Make Me Feel (she sang with Michael Jackson...so I guess this is going to be emotional for her). In addition to a cool voice...she's always rocking a crazy new hairstyle. Love Judith.
3. The Swon Brothers (Team Blake):: How Country Feels...yeah, I don't know. Blake is taking advantage of all his country artists to expose America to more country. They are fine...will probably make a decent name for themselves on the country charts...but it's time for them to go home.
4. Amber (Team Adam):: She's singing Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway. That's so meta. And wind machine...and violins. No thank you.
5. Sasha (Team Shakira):: She's doing Next to Me...apparently it's current...but I've never heard it. Terrible song. Great voice.
6. Josiah (Team Usher):: Hello Pharrell. He's doing Coldplay's Clocks. Hmmm. It's so-so. Vanilla...pretty model face...and Pharrell tells him to stop talking about the model thing. Haaaa.
7. Danielle (Team Blake):: Some Jodi Messina song...Heads Carolina, Tails California...Blake called her his retirement plan. He's the best. Her crimped hair is awful. But she's dressed age-appropriate...still rocking the same nail art from last week. She's got a great voice.
8. Kris (Team Shakira):: He's singing a Miguel song. It's lovely enough...with his lovely lady voice. The coaches seem to like him but they don't like Shakira's song choices.
9. Sarah (Team Adam):: She actually looks a lot like the mentor...but prettier. She's doing a song by Jessie J...yeah, I don't know either. She wants to show her diversity. I want to hear her do Led Zepplin. Her voice is cray.
10. Michelle (Team Usher):: In the money slot. She's doing that Pink/Fun song that's on the radio right now. I love this song. She's pretty great. I love that she's on Team Usher. She's so unexpected.
Voting for Sarah, Judith, and Sasha.
The Voice Kicks Off...
...Vedo and Garrett...too bad about Garrett...meanwhile, can they stop all the fluff so that they don't have to rush the two booted contestants off without a proper goodbye?
Anyway...Adam and Blake's teams are still three-strong...Usher and Shakira each lost one singer.
(Sidenote...So You Think You Can Dance started tonight....squuuuueee...I'll start blogging that once they get the finalists named. Best. Show. Ever.)
The Voice: Top 12
Carson opens the show tonight announcing that LA is having a heatwave and the AC is out in the building...you know LA, we're so afraid of weather! (It's kind of true...my house is a freaking hot box when I get home from work on days like today.)
Tonight each contestant is singing one song in the first official live shows. The coaches don't have the ability to save anyone anymore...it's all in the hands of A-Merica...let's see how they do.
1. Vedo (Team Usher):: He's doing "Rock With You" and he's going to be dancing. But first Usher and his choreographer tell him not to dance battle because it's a love song. And his dancing ends up a bit sassy and his voice doesn't sound awesome. He's very gaspy.
2. Holly (Team Blake):: Apparently she's produced a few of her own albums. She's doing some Martina McBride song...it's big and country. She's certainly talented. That's all I got.
3. Garrett (Team Shakira):: He's doing Backstreet Boys...haaaa...I liked it...it wasn't his best...but I do like his rasp.
And all of a sudden Usher is taking his shirt off...showing off his black tank top. And the ladies swoon.
4. Sarah (Team Adam):: LOVE her voice. And she's so beautiful. Plus, last week she was very cute at the party asking if she could photobomb us. And OMG...I freaking love this song...The Story...her voice is perfect for the duality of this song...soft and pretty then huge and growly. She's quickly moving up the ranks in my favorites.
5. The Swon Brothers (Team Blake):: They're doing a George Jones song since he just passed away...it's acoustic and lovely...the bigger brother is definitely the stronger singer, but those country boys are pretty talented.
Apparently the AC in the theater just came back on because all the guys have their shirts and jackets back on.
6. Sasha (Team Shakira):: She's doing Alone...I like her big voice. (Although I have to say she was one of the ones who was a little standoff-ish last week at the party. And she kept hitting me in the face with her extra-long hair extensions...ha.) She looked like she was crying during the whole performance. Too much eye makeup perhaps.
7. Josiah (Team Usher):: Model face boy (he was very sweet last week)...he's doing an acoustic song by The Script...I love watching Usher coach his team...it's darling. I liked the slower beginning and end better than when the song picked up for the chorus in the middle.
8. Danielle (Team Blake):: Surprise, surprise...the little 16-year-old wants to be a country pop star. And she's doing a Carrie Underwood song. Imagine that. I can appreciate her voice, but I think she's too vanilla. She's a cute little robot.
9. Judith (Team Adam):: She's singing You've Got a Friend...and she's playing the piano with no backup from the band. Love her soulful voice. She's awesome.
10. Michelle (Team Usher):: She's doing Call Your Girlfriend (I don't know this song)...and says she wants to be an indie electronic artist. It wasn't as good as last week...but I still like her. Hard to follow last week with True Colors.
11. Kris (Team Shakira):: He's singing I'll Be There with his pretty little lady voice...two Michael Jackson songs in one week...interesting. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty...and damn he has a high pitched voice.
12. Amber (Team Adam):: The money spot...she better do it justice. Oh lord, another Martina McBride song...this one is about cancer. And she's dedicating it to her mom who passed away from cancer...so she's bringing the sads. She admittedly has a good voice. But I'm just not really a fan.
Voting:: Sarah and Judith and Michelle...and Garrett.
Two people are going home tomorrow:: I think Vedo and The Swon Brothers. But what do I know?